HOME > Three research fields
Hokkaido Information University (HIU) is on the cutting edge of teaching with ICT and three research fields such as “Education, Knowledge and Information ”; “Food, Health and Information” ; and “Space, Environment and Information.”
Education,Knowledge and Information
The HIU Advanced ICT Learning Environment (HIU Model)
is Nurturing Students Ability to Find and Solve Problems
with Their Own Initiatives to Ensure Diversity
If you were a student who did not have any particular future plan for getting a job or studying in any particular research field, the HIU Advanced ICT Environment will give you the information you need via the active learning class with iPad. HIU’s mission is to provide an opportunity to encourage high motivation for globalization of business, knowledge and skill to find and solve problems with your own initiatives to ensure diversity. HIU has developed “the world class” computers in education such as POLITE (Portfolio Oriented e-Learning for IT Education, adaptive e-Learning systems) and CANVAS (Creative Activity for Nurturing Value-Added Students, faculty development support systems).
The HIU Model to Guide Students to Learn Their
Own Initiatives to Ensure Diversity
The HIU Model for guiding students to learn knowledge and skill for initiatives to ensure diversity was developed by Grants-in-Aid as a project to encourage excellent education and research activities of private universities from MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) in Japan. The HIU model consists of working to inspire motivation of students, and to create lesson models of active learning and m-Learning (mobile learning) environments.
The HIU Model to Guide Students to Learn Their Own Initiatives to Ensure Diversity
- 1.The mechanism for inspiring motivation of students
- The mechanism provides effective information that helps students to find a job and to think about their future life plan. For instance, students can watch some VODs, in which HIU alumni talk about their profession and the required body of knowledge and skills needed for his or her job. And using serious games helps students to have virtual experience related to the actual real job. The VOD of teachers’ catalogue makes it easy to understand the research fields of HIU faculty; students can then better understand what they can learn at HIU.
- 2.Teaching and Learning model for active learning
- We are trying to construct new teaching and learning models for active learning using ICT and some pedagogy such as the ARCS model. We have developed new instructional material, which is called “Attention-getting multimedia instructional material.” The instructional material on iPad attracts and peaks students’ interests through use animation, video, serious game, and so on.
- 3.m-Learning (mobile learning) environment
- The HIU m-learning environment is used by iPad and the wireless network system on campus. Students can actively learn anywhere and anytime with iPad. For instance, “Kaiwa2 (like a clicker’s function and HIU students developed the software)” on iPad helps the class stimulate more learning interaction between teacher and students.
Practical ICT Education of Knowledge and
Skill for Globalization of Business
Globalization of business requires human resources who are able to find a problem by themselves, to think of a solution, discuss that solution with people who have different perspectives and ideas, and then propose a solution devised by the team. According to the policy report 2012 of the Central Council for Education in MEXT, the change to active learning from the knowledge transfer centered class is really essential. Active teaching and learning classes inspire students to think and share different individual perspectives, thereby finding and solving problems with their own approaches and initiatives to ensure diversity.
Work on real actual projects facilitates students’
growth as professionals and as human beings.
HIU has developed advanced information systems such as POLITE, CANVAS, and so on, as real actual projects. And HIU students have contributed to these projects as software engineer, programmer, and creator of instructional material. HIU students worked with professionals in the field and learned a lot of things from the project. Certainly, the experience of real world actual projects facilitates students’ growth. HIU has an environment which promotes learning valuable knowledge and skills from “real” projects.